Thursday 11 October 2012

Our pediatrician

Today we are off to our paediatrician. We love our paediatrician. From the start she has been very positive about Phoenix's development and each time we visit she always comments on how great Phoenix is doing. What's not to like about that? One of the things I appreciate about our Dr is that she listens to our concerns, makes us feel like valuable team members, doesn't talk down to us and interacts really happily with Phoenix.  We saw her frequently Phoe's first year, as there is a lot of monitoring that goes on this year to check that her senses and body parts are working the way they should. We co-ordinated a lot of visits to eye doctors, audiologists, cardiologists, sleep clinic etc. I am happy to say that all of these appointments have fallen off. We see the eye doc once a year. We see the audiologist every 6-9 months. And the best news ever - we don't have to go back to the cardiologist! Phoenix has a perfect heart with no issues!

Our trip today is to talk about reflux. Phoenix has had reflux since birth. This means she still spits up frequently and when it is not managed properly, I can smell stomach acid on her breath. Having had heart burn though out my pregnancy, I can appreciate how painful and uncomfortable it must be to deal with this every day.

We also update the Dr about Phoenix's eating and developmental milestones.

Another thing really I appreciate about our doctor is that she doesn't focus on age comparisons. By that I mean she doesn't tell us how far behind developmentally Phoenix is or what her typically developing peers can do. This is really helpful for a number of reasons. First, it's pointless and useless information. Honestly, what would that do other than make us feel bad about how Phoenix is doing? Second, it is a strength-based approach to her development - we are always focusing on what Phoenix can do, rather than what she can't do. And finally, it lets me believe (right or wrong) that Phoenix is just like any other beautifully developing 2 year old (or about 6 months behind her peers). Because even though I can celebrate how well Phoenix is doing, it is easier for me if I conceptualize her as being just behind her peers, rather than seeing her as an extremely delayed child. If that means that I live in rainbow and butterfly land - then so be it. That's how I see her.

So that's why I love our trips to the doctor. I'll let you know how it goes:)

Update: Wouldn't you know it. Just when I get all sentimental about our doctor, she announces she is retiring in 6 months. Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment