Tuesday 16 October 2012

Silence is golden

This is a transcript of most conversations inititated by Phoenix lately:

Mom. Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom .....

If I heard it once on Sunday, I heard it 250 times. 250 times. It's enough to send anyone round the bend.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Phoenis is talking and that her speech is progressing. I'm actually thrilled. It's happening earlier than I had expected.

But there are days, like Sunday, that I regret that she is talking already.

Because what I didn't realize at the time when I was so desperate for her speech to develop is that silence is golden.

Maybe it's the same way with typically developing kids, I don't know because Phoenix is my first. Maybe all parents are anxious for their kids to reach their next deveopmental milestone. Crawling, walking, talking. And then when you get there, you realize that the next stage is so much harder then the one you were just at. And you realize how good you had it at the time, before they started walking (running away).

What I am realizing is that where you are is sometimes good enough. That it is comfortable, that it is known, and that it lets you enjoy the predictability of what you are used to.

Silence is golden. This is my lesson today.








But smiles? Smiles I will take any day.

5 comments:

  1. That's the way I felt with milestones with my older kids, too. Please walk, please walk, and then - oh wait, now I have to babyproof everything so much higher and chase after you. And when my oldest started talking, watch out. Nobody else could ever get a word in (and still can't). With Ben, I'm enjoying the journey more - and trying to appreciate that he's stayed in babyhood just a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it too. I just love all the snuggles and affection. It's also easier to see Phoenix asa 'baby' because of her baldness. She actually looks like a baby still, so I am able to draw this stage out (menatally) a lot longer.

      Delete
  2. Like most things about parenting a child with DS, I find that the milestone achievements are more intense, more celebrated, harder to attain.

    But OMG, she could NOT get any cuter. Than smile is just THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a beautiful smile. It warms my heart every single day.

      Delete
  3. I saw the link to your blog while lurking on the DT and now I'm lurking your blog. lol Your daughter is absolutely beautiful. Her smile is so contagious!

    ReplyDelete